- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed, sliced lengthways (about 4mm thick), fronds reserved
- 3 bunches asparagus, ends trimmed
- 120 gm podded broad beans (from about 500gm unpodded)
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- 150 ml olive oil
- 1Blanch fennel and asparagus until not quite tender but just softened (1-2 minute). Drain well and cool.
- 2Blanch broad beans until tender (1-2 minutes), then drain and refresh in iced water, drain again and peel.
- 3Heat a char-grill pan or barbecue to high heat. Brush fennel with a little oil and grill until lightly charred (30-45 seconds each side).
- 4For dressing, whisk vinegar, mustard, and honey in a bowl to combine. While whisking, gradually add olive oil in a thin stream until thick and emulsified.
- 5Dress fennel, asparagus and broad beans generously, season to taste and transfer
to a platter. Top with fennel fronds and serve.
Drink Suggestion: 2016 Tenuta Terre Nere "Etna Bianco", Sicily. This wine, from the northern slopes of Mount Etna, is a blend of local varieties, the dominant grape being carricante. It's a pure expression of terroir, with white flowers, scorched lemon, high acid and a salty-savoury palate reminiscent of a great Chablis. Drink suggestion by Luke Skidmore