- 8 live marron (see note), or 8 large uncooked king prawns (150gm each)
- 2 tbsp mixed edible flowers, petals removed
- 1 tbsp small fennel fronds (optional)
- 1 tbsp (loosely packed) chervil leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 40 gm unsalted cultured butter, softened
- Finely grated rind each of ¼ lemon and ¼ lime
- 1If you're cooking over a fire, light the wood or coals and allow fire to burn down to hot coals (1-1 ½ hours); otherwise heat a barbecue when you're making the citrus butter.
- 2Place marron in the freezer to render them insensible (50 minutes to 1 hour), then cook them in a large saucepan of rapidly boiling salted water for 1 minute. Refresh in iced water, then remove the tails and cut shell down the centre over the belly with scissors and remove tail meat. Skewer on soaked bamboo skewers (for prawns, peel, remove heads and devein, then thread onto skewers). Cover and refrigerate until required.
- 3For citrus butter, mix butter and rinds together in a bowl and season to taste. Transfer to a small dish and leave at room temperature.
- 4Mix flowers and herbs and place in a dish. Season marron and grill, turning occasionally, until almost cooked through but still a fraction translucent in the centre (1 minute each side). Serve to guests to roll in the butter and sprinkle on the flowers and herbs.
Live marron need to be ordered ahead from a fishmonger, or from your local fish market.
Drink Suggestion: 2015 Thick as Thieves "Fancy Pants" viognier blend, Yarra Valley, Vic, or 2014 Jamsheed Rousanne, Beechworth, Vic Drink suggestion by Russ Mills & Amanda Yallop