- 4 butterflied spatchcock (about 500gm each)
- 150 ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 100 gm hazelnuts
- 300 ml Valdespino fino sherry (see note)
- 1 baby fennel bulb
- 2 small pears, such as corella
- 1 small Savoy cabbage, shaved on a mandolin
- ½ cup mint (loosely packed)
- 50 gm shaved Parmigiano-Reggian
- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 50 ml Champagne vinegar
- 120 ml mild-flavoured extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Combine spatchcock, olive oil, oregano and garlic in a non-reactive bowl (see cook’s notes p178), season to taste and stir to coat well, then marinate for 30 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C. Roast hazelnuts on an oven tray, stirring occasionally until lightly browned (6-7 minutes). Rub with a tea towel to remove skins, then coarsely chop and set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, simmer sherry in a small saucepan over low heat until reduced to a light syrup (20-25 minutes), set aside.
- 4Preheat a char-grill pan or barbecue to medium-high. Remove spatchcock from marinade (reserve) and grill, turning and basting occasionally with marinade, until browned and cooked through (5-6 minutes each side), stand in a warm place to rest for 5 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, thinly shave fennel on a mandolin and stand in iced acidulated water (see cook’s notes p178) until crisp (5 minutes). Cut pear into julienne on a mandolin and add to fennel. Just before serving, drain fennel and pear well, toss in a bowl with cabbage, mint, Parmigiano-Reggiano, shallot, vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil, and season to taste.
- 6Quarter each spatchcock and pile on serving plates with pear and cabbage salad. Drizzle spatchcock with reduced sherry, scatter with roast hazelnuts and serve.
Valdespino fino sherry is available from select liquor shops. If unavailable, substitute another fino sherry.
This recipe is from the January 2011 issue of
Drink Suggestion: 2008 Ocean Eight Pinot Noir, Mornington Peninsula, Vic. Drink suggestion by Lincoln Riley
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsA year-round travel guide to Austria's western AlpsYesterday 12:00am