“Cutting a salad this way makes it easy to eat – something Italians love! My only suggestion is not to overdress it. I always like a little more oil than vinegar; too much vinegar is overpowering.” You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 50 gm dried kidney beans, soaked overnight in cold water
- 1 cos lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- ½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 120 ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- 1Drain kidney beans, place in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, cook until tender (20-40 minutes), drain and cool.
- 2Combine beans and remaining ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and serve.
This recipe is from the March 2011 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: A young pinot grigio Drink suggestion by Mark Protheroe