- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 1 kg sardines
- 90 gm seasoned plain flour, for dusting (½ cup)
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1½ onions, thinly sliced
- 375 ml white wine
- 180 ml white vinegar (¾ cup)
- 40 gm sultanas (¼ cup)
- 1Heat vegetable oil in a deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Dust sardines with flour, shaking off excess, and fry in batches until cooked through (3-4 minutes). Set aside in a deep tray.
- 2Heat olive oil, garlic and herbs in a separate frying pan over high heat, add onion and sauté until translucent (5-10 minutes). Add white wine, vinegar and sultanas and cook over low heat until onions are tender (15 minutes). Set aside to cool, then pour over sardines and refrigerate to marinate (2 hours-overnight). Serve at room temperature.
This recipe is from the March 2011 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.
Drink Suggestion: A full-bodied Soave Classico from one of the "cru" vineyards Drink suggestion by Mark Protheroe
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm