"Trifle always looks appetising no matter how simple you keep it. This one includes zabaglione which is one of my favourite recipes. The trick with the zabaglione is to keep the heat moderate and consistent and to keep whisking, adding the ingredients gradually."
- 350 gm eggs, separated (about 6 eggs)
- 70 gm egg yolks (about 4 yolks)
- 300 gm caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 225 gm plain flour, sieved (1½ cups)
- 60 gm potato flour, sieved
- 250 gm softened butter
- 250 gm caster sugar
- 250 gm plain flour, sieved
- 150 gm hazelnut meal
- 100 gm flaked almonds
- 120 gm eggs (about 2 eggs)
- 100 gm egg yolks (about 6 yolks)
- 75 gm caster sugar
- 60 gm plain flour, sieved
- 125 ml white wine
- 100 ml Marsala, or to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Whisk eggwhite in an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Combine yolks, sugar and vanilla essence in a separate bowl, gradually stir in flours, then fold through eggwhite. Spread into a 30cm x 40cm oven tray lined with baking paper and bake until golden (35 minutes). Cool in pan, then break into rough pieces and set aside.
- 2For crumble, beat butter in an electric mixer until pale. Stir in remaining ingredients, spread thinly on an oven tray lined with baking paper and bake until golden (35-40 minutes). Cool on tray, coarsely crumble and set aside.
- 3For zabaglione, whisk eggs, yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until light and foamy (15-20 minutes). Sift in flour, mix to combine, gradually add white wine and Marsala and whisk until mixture reaches 82C on a sugar thermometer and is light and fluffy (10 minutes).
- 4Divide half the sponge mixture among ten 200ml glasses, pour over half the zabaglione, scatter over half the crumble, then repeat. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
This recipe is from the March 2011 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.
Drink Suggestion: A passito or recioto white wine from Veneto Drink suggestion by Mark Protheroe
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am