- 1 tsp each coriander seeds and cumin seeds
- 100 gm pine nuts
- 75 ml clarified butter
- 75 gm dried bird’s nest pasta, broken into pieces
- 375 gm basmati rice, rinsed
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 40 gm flaked almonds
- 1Dry-roast spices in a small saucepan until fragrant (1-2 minutes), transfer to a mortar and pestle, coarsely crush and set aside.
- 2Dry-roast pine nuts in a small saucepan until golden (4-5 minutes), set aside.
- 3Heat clarified butter in a wide saucepan over medium-high heat, add pasta and stir occasionally until golden brown (2-3 minutes). Add rice and onion, season to taste and stir occasionally until onion begins to soften and rice starts to absorb butter (4-5 minutes). Add spices, pine nuts, almonds and 1.5 litres hot water, bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (25-30 minutes). Season to taste and serve hot.
This recipe is from the August 2011 issue of .