A very South Australian bun from one of Barossa Valley's best. Warm brioche, rhubarb jam and a dollop of cream – there's lots to love in these mini buns.
- Whipped thickened cream, to serve
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- 110 gm unsalted butter, diced and softened
- 50 gm caster sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 100 ml lukewarm milk
- 10 gm dried yeast (3 tsp)
- 250 gm plain flour, plus extra for dusting (1⅔ cups)
- 2 eggs
- Sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 250 gm trimmed rhubarb, coarsely chopped
- 250 gm caster sugar
- ½ vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lime
- 1For brioche, beat butter and sugar in an electric mixer until pale (1-2 minutes), then transfer to a bowl. Combine milk and yeast in a bowl and stand until starting to bubble (10-15 minutes). Transfer to an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, add flour, eggs and 1 tsp fine sea salt and mix on low speed until dough is shiny and smooth (6-8 minutes). Gradually add creamed butter, beating well between additions, and knead until dough is glossy (8-10 minutes). Lightly dust dough with flour, transfer to a large bowl, cover with a tea towel or plastic wrap and stand at room temperature until doubled in size (30-40 minutes). Transfer to an oven tray lined with baking paper, flatten to about 2cm thick and chill until firm enough to cut (2 hours).
- 2Meanwhile, for rhubarb jam, combine rhubarb, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds and 2 tbsp water in a small saucepan and simmer, stirring often, until thickened (25-30 minutes). Stir in lime rind and juice, then cool (40-50 minutes).
- 3Cut dough into 16 rounds with a floured 4cm-diameter pastry cutter, wiping and flouring cutter between each. Transfer to an oven tray lined with baking paper, leaving a 3cm gap between each. Heat oil in a large saucepan to 170C, and place extra caster sugar in a bowl. Deep-fry dough in batches until golden brown (3-4 minutes), then remove with a slotted spoon and roll in caster sugar to coat well.
- 4Cut buns almost through with a bread knife. Fill with about 1 tsp jam and a small spoonful of whipped cream, dust with icing sugar and serve.