"Our bees produce beautiful honey at Dairy Flat Farm. We don't fiddle with it or over process it," says Alla Wolf-Tasker. "Seek out single-source honey and support local producers."
- 250 gm caster sugar
- 100 gm eggwhite (about 3 eggs)
- 4½ gold-strength gelatine leaves
- 500 ml pouring cream
- 200 ml milk
- 90 gm caster sugar
- 150 gm honey
- 350 gm ripe strawberries
- 1½ tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tsp water
- Edible flowers, to serve
- 1For meringue, preheat oven to 100°C. Place sugar and 100ml water in a heavy-based saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves then increase heat to high and cook until syrup reaches 110°C on a sugar thermometer (10 minutes). Whisk eggwhite in a stand mixer until soft peaks form, then, with motor running, slowly add hot syrup and whisk until cool (5 minutes). Spread mixture with a palette knife onto a large oven tray lined with baking paper as thinly as possible (2-3mm). Bake until dry and crisp but not brown (20-30 minutes) or overnight in a 70°C oven. When cool break into shards and store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- 2Meanwhile for panna cotta, soak gelatine in a bowl of cold water until softened (5 minutes). Combine cream, milk, sugar and honey in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve sugar, then remove from heat. Squeeze excess water from gelatine and stir into cream mixture until dissolved. Strain into a jug then pour into six ½-cup-capacity dariole moulds and refrigerate until set (4 hours). Panna cotta can be made up to two days ahead.
- 3For compote, reserve 100gm strawberries and halve or quarter if large. Chop remaining strawberries and combine with sugar in a saucepan, stirring over medium heat to dissolve sugar, until strawberries release their juices (5 minutes). Add cornflour mixture and simmer until well combined (1 minute). Remove from heat and stir in reserved strawberries then set aside to cool (10-15 minutes).
- 4Dip the base of panna cotta moulds briefly into hot water then invert onto plates. Serve with strawberry compote and meringue shards and scatter with edible flowers.