“This salad has been on the menu pretty much the whole time because I really like the bitterness of radicchio,” says Carey. “It’s a nice palate-cleanser after all that rich stuff. The dressing will make a little extra, but can be kept in the fridge for a couple of weeks.”
- ½ head iceberg lettuce
- 1 head radicchio
- 2 cups watercress sprigs (firmly packed)
- ½ cup mint (about 1 bunch) (firmly packed)
- 75 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small golden shallots, finely diced
- 25 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1For balsamic dressing, mix ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and set aside for flavours to develop (30 minutes).
- 2Cut iceberg into large strips and radicchio into thin strips and transfer to a large bowl. Add watercress and mint, season to taste, add 80ml balsamic dressing, toss lightly to combine and serve immediately with extra dressing to the side.
This recipe is from the November 2010 issue of .
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am