"These are Roman-style doughnuts made with ricotta," says Grossi. "At Garum, we especially love using ricotta in this batter because it gives a lovely light dough. Ricotta gelato is a great accompaniment."
- 450 gm firm cow's or goat's milk ricotta (see note)
- 225 gm wholemeal flour
- 1 egg
- Canola oil, for deep-frying
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) warmed honey
- 1-2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1.25 litres (5 cups) milk
- 675 gm firm ricotta
- Finely grated rind of 3 oranges
- 375 gm caster sugar
- 100 gm skim milk powder
- 88 gm glucose powder
- 500 ml (2 cups) sugar syrup (see cook's notes)
- 50 ml floral-scented honey
- 75 gm currants
- 1For ricotta gelato, heat milk, ricotta and orange rind in a saucepan over medium heat until it reaches 40°C on a thermometer (18-20 minutes). Mix sugar and powders in a bowl, whisk into warm milk mixture to combine, then stir continuously until temperature reaches 85°C (12-15 minutes). Remove from heat and cool quickly, then refrigerate to chill (4 hours). Churn in an ice-cream machine and freeze.
- 2Mix ricotta, wholemeal flour and egg in an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook on low speed until a smooth dough forms (2 minutes). Cover and rest for 20 minutes.
- 3For currant syrup, bring sugar syrup and honey to the boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to low, add currants and simmer to infuse (5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- 4Heat oil in a deep-fryer or deep saucepan to 160°C. Scoop tablespoons of dough and roll them between your hands to make balls, then fry in small batches until crisp and golden (4-6 minutes). Drain on paper towels. Toss globi in warmed honey to coat thoroughly and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- 5Serve globi in bowls with ricotta gelato and drizzled with currant syrup. Note If ricotta is not firm, drain it in a sieve lined with muslin in the fridge for about 2 hours.
Drink suggestion: A dessert wine, such as Bissoni "Albana di Romagna Passito" Albana from Emilia-Romagna. Drink suggestion by Carlo Grossi.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsThe Melbourne bakery that pipes fresh cannoli to orderYesterday 4:00am