While Matthew Bax originally made this cocktail in 2005 for Der Raum, this twist on the Dark and Stormy has segued perfectly onto the rum-rich list at the site's new incarnation, Bar Económico.
- 10 sultanas, plus extra to garnish (optional)
- 10 ml pomegranate molasses
- 10 ml sugar syrup (see note)
- 45 ml dark Jamaican rum
- 4 dashes of orange bitters
- Dash of lime juice
- To top: ginger beer
- To garnish: star anise
- 1With a muddling stick or rolling pin, muddle sultanas, molasses and syrup in a highball glass. Add crushed ice to half-fill, add rum and stir in bitters and lime juice. Top with ginger beer to taste, garnish with star anise and extra sultanas and serve.
Note To make sugar syrup, gently stir a cup of sugar and a cup of water in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then set aside to cool.