“This is Buzo’s most requested dish. The secret is to let the potatoes be the star; the rosemary and garlic are background flavours. Be careful choosing potatoes for this dish: russet Burbanks are the best. Check with your greengrocer for potatoes that will roast/fry well and remember, you can’t cook too many potatoes.”
- 1.5 kg potatoes, such as russet Burbank or sebago
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1Preheat a deep-fryer to 140C. Cut potatoes into 6cm pieces and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear, then drain well. Fry potatoes in three batches until tender but not coloured (8-10 minutes; be careful, oil may spit). Drain on absorbent paper.
- 2Combine garlic and olive oil in a large bowl and set aside. Increase temperature of deep-fryer to 180C and cook potatoes in three batches until crisp and golden (3-5 minutes). Add rosemary during last minute of cooking to crisp. Drain potatoes and rosemary well, add to garlic mixture with parsley, season to taste and serve.
This recipe is from the August 2009 issue of .