“I love this ham recipe; it’s Mum’s. The smell takes me back to my childhood. I love the sticky, sweet flavours.” If you can’t find an oven bag large enough for the ham, place it on an oven tray and cover it tightly with foil.
- 250 ml apple juice (1 cup)
- 250 ml agave syrup (see note) (1 cup)
- 2 tbsp hot English mustard
- 1 ham, bone in (about 8kg)
- 4 cloves, plus extra for studding
- 4 juniper berries
- 1Preheat oven to 160C. Whisk juice, agave syrup and mustard in a small bowl. Place ham in an oven bag, add spices and half the marinade, seal bag and roast until warmed through (2-2½ hours). Remove ham from bag and, when cool enough to handle, remove skin and score fat in a crosshatch pattern. Stud with extra cloves, baste with remaining marinade and juices and roast, basting occasionally, until glazed (30-40 minutes).
Agave syrup, which is made from the agave plant, is available from select delicatessens and health-food shops.
This recipe is from the December 2010 issue of
Drink Suggestion: Aromatic, hoppy pale ale. Drink suggestion by Max Allen