- 80 gm softened butter
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 turkey buffe (about 3.5kg; see note)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 60 ml sherry vinegar (¼ cup)
- 3 cups mâche (loosely packed)
- 2 Josephine pears, thinly sliced
- 80 gm dried cranberries
- 1Preheat oven to 130C. Combine butter and thyme in a small bowl, season to taste. Carefully separate skin from turkey breast with your fingertips then stuff butter under skin and gently press to distribute evenly.
- 2Heat oil in a large flameproof roasting pan over high heat, add carrot and onion, stir occasionally until starting to caramelise (8-10 minutes). Place turkey skin-side up on vegetables, cover with foil, roast until turkey is cooked through (40-45 minutes). Remove from oven, remove turkey from pan, cover loosely with foil, set aside to rest (15-20 minutes). Discard vegetables, whisk vinegar into pan juices, season to taste and keep warm.
- 3Meanwhile, combine mâche, pear and cranberries in a large bowl, toss gently to combine. Serve with thickly sliced turkey and pan juices.
Note A turkey buffe consists of the breasts left on the rib cage (legs removed). You may need to order it from your butcher. This recipe is from the December 2010 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.
Drink Suggestion: Juicy, succulent pinot noir. Drink suggestion by Max Allen