- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 300 gm kale (about 1 bunch), leaves trimmed into large pieces
- To serve: pink salt and lemon wedges
- 150 gm plain flour (1 cup)
- 150 gm rice flour
- 150 gm cornflour
- ½ tsp each smoked hot paprika and cayenne pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 500 ml soda water, chilled (2 cups)
- 1For batter, mix flours together with smoked paprika and cayenne in a bowl, and season to taste. Whisk yolks with 60ml soda and combine with flour mixture. Whisk in remaining soda until batter is a smooth thickened cream consistency. Set aside to rest (30 minutes).
- 2Preheat oil in a deep-fryer to 160C. Dip each piece of kale into the batter individually and let excess batter drip off, then carefully place in the fryer (take care, hot oil will spit). Fry 3-4 pieces at a time, turning occasionally, and remove when crisp and golden (1-2 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper then season with pink salt and serve with fresh lemon wedges for squeezing.
Drink Suggestion: 2013 Chiyo Shuz “Shinomine Chokara” sake, chilled. Drink suggestion by Oliver Tucker