We've baked this pudding, but it could easily be steamed instead.
- 250 gm butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 60 gm brown sugar
- 250 gm caster sugar
- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- 250 gm self-raising flour (1 1/3 cups)
- 125 ml milk (½ cup)
- 1Preheat oven to 170C, and generously grease a 2-litre pudding mould with butter. Mix lemon juice and brown sugar in a bowl, then pour into pudding mould and set aside.
- 2Beat butter and caster sugar in an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sieve flour in, add a pinch of salt and fold to combine. Add milk and lemon and orange rind, mix gently, then spoon into pudding mould and smooth top. Cover with a buttered round of baking paper, then a double layer of foil and tie tightly with kitchen string. Place pudding mould in a deep oven tray or a wide ovenproof saucepan, fill pan with enough hot water to come halfway up the side of the mould and bake for 2 hours. Serve hot with pouring cream, yoghurt or ice-cream.
Drink Suggestion: Late-harvest chenin blanc Drink suggestion by Max Allen