At Luca, Isaac McHale uses beef barrel rump, a barrel shaped fillet cut from the eye of rump. Ask your butcher for a piece of eye of rump or the large end of any eye fillet.
- 1 kg piece of eye of rump, eye fillet or beef barrel rump
- 3 very thin pancetta slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Make a cut in the centre of the rump piece or fillet, season with pepper and put the pancetta slices inside. Tie beef with kitchen string at intervals to secure.
- 2Heat oil in a large ovenproof frying pan over high heat. Sear beef in pan until browned all over (1-2 minutes). Transfer to oven until the beef’s internal temperature reaches 60C on a meat thermometer for rare (15 minutes). Remove beef from oven and rest lightly wrapped in foil for 4 minutes, then cut off string and thickly slice beef to serve.
Drink Suggestion: A gutsy super-Tuscan or primitivo with dark fruit and good body. Drink suggestion by Johnny Smith
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm