Shards of meringue add extra texture to this perfect summer dessert – either homemade or bought from your local bakery.
- 1 small mango, coarsely chopped
- 100 gm Greek-style yoghurt
- 85 gm heavy cream (45% fat), lightly whisked
- 80 gm mascarpone
- 80 gm caster sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ pineapple, finely diced
- of 2 passionfruit, Pulp
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced mint
Palm sugar caramel
- 150 gm light palm sugar, coarsely chopped
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 80 ml Malibu coconut rum
- 1Process mango in a food processor until smooth, then pass through a fine sieve into a bowl to yield 200gm. Add yoghurt, whisk to combine and refrigerate until required.
- 2Whisk cream and mascarpone in a bowl to soft peaks and refrigerate until required.
- 3Stir caster sugar and 60ml water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and cook until mixture reaches 121C on a sugar thermometer (6-8 minutes). Meanwhile, whisk yolks in an electric mixer on low speed. Gradually add sugar syrup and whisk until cooled to room temperature (4-5 minutes). Fold in mango mixture, then fold in cream mixture and spoon into an 8cm x 20cm loaf tin lined with plastic wrap. Smooth top, freeze until firm (3-4 hours).
- 4For palm sugar caramel, stir palm sugar, vanilla bean and seeds and 80ml water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the simmer, add Malibu (be careful as hot caramel will spit), cook until amber-caramel coloured (20-25 minutes), set aside to cool, remove vanilla bean.
- 5Combine pineapple, passionfruit and mint in a bowl. Dip loaf tin in hot water, unmould parfait then thickly slice and place on chilled serving plates. Spoon over pineapple salad, drizzle with palm sugar caramel and serve.
This recipe is from the January 2011 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: 2006 Kracher Beerenauslese, Austria Drink suggestion by Lincoln Riley