"This idea came from when I was in Gazi late at night and there was a guy who just made omelettes," says Calombaris. "He'd make them with all sorts of things like meatballs or loukaniko or vegetables. So I thought I'd do mine with moussaka. At our Gazi, we serve it with crisp fried onion rings."
- 70 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 150 gm lean minced lamb
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 100 gm canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 kipfler potatoes (about 60gm each)
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- To serve: Kewpie (Japanese) mayonnaise, coarsely grated kefalograviera and chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 small Japanese eggplants, cut into 2cm-thick rounds
- 50 ml white wine vinegar, such as chardonnay
- 25 gm brown sugar
- 2 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1For pickled eggplant, heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add eggplant and turn occasionally until browned (4-5 minutes). Add remaining ingredients, season to taste and simmer, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is tender (5-6 minutes). Set aside.
- 2Heat 30ml olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add onion, garlic, bay leaf and cinnamon and stir occasionally until onion is tender (5-6 minutes). Add lamb and stir, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until evenly browned (6-7 minutes). Deglaze pan with wine and simmer until almost reduced (1 minute). Add tomato, season to taste and simmer until thick (1 minute).
- 3Meanwhile, cook potato in a small saucepan of boiling salted water until tender (15-20 minutes), drain and set aside to cool, then dice and set aside.
- 4Heat grill to high. Heat 2 tsp of remaining olive oil in a 12cm-diameter ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat, add quarter of the diced potato and stir occasionally until golden (2-3 minutes). Add quarter of the lamb mixture and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low, add a quarter of the eggs, season to taste and cook for 1 minute. Place pan under grill (not too close to the heat) and cook until just set (1½-2 minutes). Transfer omelette to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 3 more omelettes. Serve hot topped with pickled eggplant and Kewpie mayonnaise (onion rings optional), then scattered with kefalograviera and parsley.
Drink Suggestion: 2009 Karydas Xinomavro, Naoussa. Drink suggestion by Andrew Phillpot