This recipe makes about 40 biscotti.
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 225 gm dark muscovado or brown sugar
- 2 tsp orange extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 500 gm natural almonds
- 100 gm ground almonds
- 225 gm (1½ cups) plain flour
- 25 gm fine semolina
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- To finish: golden caster sugar or unrefined demerara sugar
- 1Line one or two large baking trays with non-stick paper and heat the oven to 180C.
- 2Whisk the eggs in an electric mixer until they start to froth, then gradually add the sugar, about a quarter at a time, until the mixture turns to soft creamy meringue. If the brown sugar stays lumpy, switch the machine off, leave for 10 minutes then beat on high. Doing this once or twice allows the sugar to dissolve.
- 3Add the orange and almond extract with the shelled and ground almonds, stir slightly with a spatula, then add the flour, semolina and bicarb, and stir again until barely smooth.
- 4Spoon the mixture onto the tray in strips about 7cm wide that run the length of the tray. The mixture will double in width during baking, so use two trays if you think the space is cramped.
- 5Sprinkle with golden caster sugar and bake for 40 minutes. Leave to cool on the tray, then cover and leave for a day. Using a strong serrated knife, slice the bars into 1cm-wide fingers on an angle and re-bake at 160C for 40 minutes until crisp.