Pickles awaken the palate and soothe the fire from chilli. They also taste great with beer.
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced lengthways
- 50 ml white vinegar
- 50 gm white sugar
- 35 gm Chinese celery, cut into julienne (see note)
- 1Combine onion with a pinch of sea salt, toss to combine, stand for 10 minutes, then rinse and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, combine vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan, bring to the boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Cook until reduced by half (1-2 minutes), set aside to cool.
- 3Combine Chinese celery, reserved onion and vinegar mixture in a non-reactive bowl, stand for 10 minutes, then serve as a condiment.
Note Chinese celery is available from Asian grocers. You can substitute regular celery.