- 1 kg lamb shoulder, bone in, trimmed
- 30 ml chicken stock
- 30 ml peanut oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sesame oil
- 10 ml (2 tsp) light soy sauce
- 5 ml (1 tsp) rice wine vinegar
- 5 gm (1 tsp) white sugar
- 3 green onions, white and pale green ends thinly sliced crossways, dark green ends reserved for master stock
- 40 gm long red chillies, coarsely chopped
- 20 gm sea salt
- 650 ml Shaoxing wine
- 225 gm yellow rock sugar (see note)
- 315 ml light soy sauce
- 50 gm ginger, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1For salted chillies, pulse chillies and salt in a food processor until combined, transfer to a small sterile container and stand at room temperature for 3 days, then store in refrigerator until required. Makes about 1/3 cup.
- 2For master stock, bring all ingredients, reserved green onion tops and 3 litres water to the boil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add lamb, reduce heat to low, weight with a plate and simmer until very tender (2 hours). Remove from heat, cool lamb in master stock then remove, coarsely shred and set aside (discard bone).
- 3Combine chicken stock, oils, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, green onions and 10gm salted chillies in a bowl and mix well.
- 4To serve, arrange shredded lamb on a serving plate, spoon over dressing and serve immediately.
Note Yellow rock sugar is available from Chinese supermarkets. Master stock can be used again and will keep indefinitely in the refrigerator. Boil for 5 minutes after using, then refrigerate uncovered until completely chilled. Cover and refrigerate until required. Before using, boil for 5 minutes and adjust seasoning, if necessary.