This is a great way to finish a Chinese meal. It’s utterly refreshing and tastes of summer.
- 750 gm coarsely chopped watermelon flesh
- 60 gm white sugar
- 200 gm finely diced watermelon, to serve
- 100 gm white sugar
- 20 gm ginger, coarsely chopped
- 1Combine coarsely chopped watermelon and sugar in a bowl and stand until macerated and juicy (45 minutes-1 hour). Process in a food processor until smooth, then pass through a muslin-lined sieve. Transfer to a 20cm x 30cm shallow metal tray and freeze, stirring and scraping occasionally with a fork until crystals form and granita is frozen (4-5 hours).
- 2Meanwhile, for ginger syrup, combine sugar, ginger and 60ml water in a saucepan, stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, remove from heat, stand until cool. Strain and refrigerate until completely chilled. Makes about ½ cup.
- 3To serve, divide diced watermelon among chilled serving glasses and top with granita. Drizzle with a little ginger syrup and serve immediately.