"Nutter Butter is an American peanut-flavoured cookie," says Catherine Adams. "I really like the name, so we made it into a gelato sandwich." Cipro's gelato is difficult to make in a domestic kitchen, so Cipro has replaced the gelato with vanilla parfait for this recipe.
- 225 gm unsalted butter, softened
- 90 gm smooth peanut butter
- 105 gm caster sugar
- 85 gm brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 190 gm plain flour
- 1 tsp each baking powder and bicarbonate of soda
- 105 gm quick-cook oats
- 25 gm peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 220 gm caster sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 480 ml pouring cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 1For vanilla parfait, stir sugar and 180ml water in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until syrup reaches 105C on a sugar thermometer (5-7 minutes). Meanwhile, whisk yolks on medium speed in an electric mixer until pale and creamy. While whisking, pour syrup slowly into the bowl, then continue to whisk until cool (6-8 minutes). Whisk cream, vanilla extract and vanilla seeds to soft peaks in a separate bowl, then fold into yolk mixture. Pour into a 22cm x 11cm loaf tin lined with plastic wrap and freeze until firm (6 hours).
- 2Preheat oven to 170C. Mix butter and peanut butter in an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, then add sugars and mix until pale (5 minutes). Whisk egg, milk and vanilla in a separate bowl to combine, then slowly add to butter mixture and mix to combine. While mixing on low speed, sift in flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda, then add oats and peanuts. Form heaped tablespoons of mixture into balls, place balls 4cm apart on oven trays lined with baking paper and bake until evenly browned (12-16 minutes). Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
- 3Spread half the biscuits with 1/2 cup of vanilla parfait each (you may have a little parfait left over), sandwich with remaining biscuits and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Chocolate soda Drink suggestion by Penny Watson-Green
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am