“Punches are the world’s oldest form of mixed drink. Researchers from The Museum of the American Cocktail have found the earliest written documentation of punch as far back as 1632. I love this summer-fun blend because you get to ram two competing flavours head-first into one another, but somehow they find agreement on meeting.” - Jason Crawley
You’ll need to start this drink several hours ahead.
- 1 litre ruby grapefruit juice, chilled (4 cups)
- 500 ml passionfruit purée, chilled (see note) (2 cups)
- 75 gm caster sugar (1/3 cup)
- 400 ml gold tequila
- 100 ml orange liqueur, such as Cointreau
- 60 ml pomegranate liqueur or grenadine (¼ cup)
- 1Several hours ahead or the night before, freeze half of the juice in ice-cube trays.
- 2Pour remaining juice, passionfruit purée and sugar into a punch bowl. Gently stir until purée is thoroughly incorporated, then add remaining ingredients.
- 3Ladle punch into tumblers filled with ruby grapefruit ice cubes and garnish with reserved passionfruit seeds.
For passionfruit purée, process pulp from about 24 passionfruits (to give you 2 cups) in a food processor, then strain through a sieve, reserving some seeds for garnish.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm