"Passionfruit ice-cream is delicious on its own, but makes for a sophisticated dessert when paired with charred-lime syrup, tangy sherbet and blackberries," says Eldridge. Start this recipe a day ahead to freeze the ice-cream.
- 330 ml strained passionfruit pulp (about 500gm unstrained; see note)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 eggs
- 50 gm caster sugar
- 90 gm cold butter, diced
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 300 gm sour cream
- 300 ml condensed milk
- Fresh blackberries, to serve
- Thinly peeled zest from 2 limes
- 50 gm (⅓ cup) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp citric acid
- 1 lime, plus juice from ½ lime
- 125 gm caster sugar
- 1For lime sherbet, preheat oven to 60°C. Bake lime peel on a wire rack over a baking tray in oven (or a dehydrator) until dry (2½-3 hours). Grind with a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle until a fine powder, then add icing sugar and acid and grind again. Adjust to taste with icing sugar or acid. Store in an airtight container.
- 2Whisk 180gm passionfruit pulp, lemon juice, eggs and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until mixture thickens (5-10 minutes). Remove from heat and whisk in butter. Strain through a fine sieve into a clean bowl, cover the surface, and refrigerate curd until cold.
- 3Meanwhile, whisk cream and sour cream until soft peaks. Add condensed milk, remaining passionfruit and curd, whisk to combine. Pour into a container, cover and freeze until firm. Remove from freezer 20-30 minutes before serving.
- 4For charred-lime syrup, wash and cut 1 lime into 3 slices. Preheat a small saucepan over high heat until very hot, add lime and leave until blackened (1-2 minutes), then turn and colour the other side (30 seconds to 1 minute). Add 125ml warm water (be careful, hot water will spit) and loosen any charred bits from pan. Add sugar and bring to a boil, then remove from the heat and allow to cool. Add lime juice, pass through a fine sieve and chill.
- 5Scoop ice-cream into serving glasses, drizzle with syrup, add berries and dust with sherbet.
Wine suggestion Kracher Cuvée Beerenauslese, Welschriesling or Chardonnay from Burgenland, Austria.
Wine suggestion by Gavin Cremming.