"Here we have a seasonal variation on a Campari and soda," says Andrew McConnell, chef-owner of Melbourne's Gimlet. It's the classic cocktail you know and love, kissed with the flavour of summer peaches. Start a day ahead to infuse the Campari.
- 4 ripe yellow peaches, halved, destoned
- 1 bunch lemon thyme
- 700 ml Campari
- Soda water and orange slices, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Place peach halves on a large oven tray cut sides up and roast until starting to caramelise (35 minutes). Set aside to cool slightly.
- 2Reserve 6 small lemon thyme sprigs to serve. Combine remaining thyme, Campari and roasted peaches in a jug. Cover and set aside at room temperature to infuse (8 hours or overnight). Strain through a fine sieve into a large bowl and reserve peaches (see note).
- 3Meanwhile, place 6 highball or rocks glasses in fridge to chill. When ready to serve, pour 60ml peach-infused Campari into each glass and fill with ice. Top with soda, stir gently, and garnish with orange slices and reserved lemon thyme sprigs.
Note Reserved peaches can be sliced and added to the cocktail, or enjoyed as a dessert with ice-cream or sorbet.