A gluten-free Persian love cake, dense with brown sugar, lightened with yoghurt, and kissed by a touch of nutmeg. Heaven.
- 360 gm almond meal (3 cups)
- 220 gm raw sugar (1 cup)
- 220 gm brown sugar (1 cup)
- 120 gm unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 250 gm Greek-style yoghurt, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 45 gm pistachios, coarsely chopped (¼ cup)
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Combine almond meal, sugars, butter and 1 tsp salt in a bowl, then rub with fingertips until coarse crumbs form. Spoon half the mixture into a lightly buttered and baking paper-lined 26cm-diameter springform pan, gently pressing to evenly cover base.
- 2Add egg, yoghurt and nutmeg to remaining crumble mixture and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy. Pour over prepared base, smooth top, scatter pistachios around edge and bake until golden (35-45 minutes.) Cool completely in pan on a wire rack to room temperature, then serve with extra yoghurt. The cake will keep in an airtight container for up to a week.