For the full results of our spag Bol poll, including recipes and Q&As with 60 of the country’s finest chefs, <a href="/battle-of-the-bol.htm">click here</a>.
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 500 gm minced meat
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup red wine, such as shiraz
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce (the one you put on your meat pies)
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce or a pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 large tin tomato soup (Campbell's or Heinz)
- ½ - 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 1Heat oil. Add onions and garlic and sauté until soft (no colour). Add the mince and brown (3-4 minutes). Add the oregano and wine and reduce until almost evaporated. Add the tomato paste and sauces and cook for 1 minute. Add the soup, chicken stock, a touch of salt and a good crack of black pepper. Simmer for ½ hour (adding more stock if needed). Add parsley and toss through hot pasta. Sprinkle with grated cheese and enjoy with the rest of the shiraz.
This is a direct submission from our chef respondent and not a recipe we've put through the triple-testing of everything else we publish in the magazine and is therefore intended as a guide only. Please refer to the recipe given by our food director,
, for a tested and more detailed walk-through.