- 225 gm softened butter
- 360 gm brown sugar
- 1½ tsp fine sea salt
- 340 gm plain flour, sieved
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- of ground cloves, Pinch
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 180 gm roasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 360 gm dark chocolate buttons (54% cocoa solids), coarsely chopped
- 80 gm candied orange peel, coarsely chopped
- 1Beat butter in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle until pale (4-6 minutes), add sugar and salt, then add flour and spices and mix until combined. Add eggs, stir to combine, then stir through remaining ingredients. Spoon mixture onto a sheet of plastic wrap, roll away from you to form a cylinder, twist ends to seal and refrigerate until firm (1 hour).
- 2Preheat oven to 190C. Remove plastic wrap from biscuit mixture, slice mixture into 1cm-thick slices and place on oven trays lined with baking paper. Bake, swapping trays halfway through cooking time, until golden (10-12 minutes), cool. Biscuits will keep stored in an airtight container for 5 days.
This recipe makes about 25 biscuits.
This recipe is from the December 2010 issue of