- 25 gm slivered almonds (2 tbsp)
- 400 gm couverture white chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 glacé red cherries, cut into thin wedges
- 5 gm Rice Bubbles (¼ cup)
- 25 gm glacé cedro, finely chopped (see note) (2 tbsp)
- 1Toast almonds in a frying pan over low-medium heat, shaking pan occasionally, until golden (2-3 minutes), set aside to cool.
- 2Melt 260gm white chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally (keep temperature below 42C). Remove from heat, add remaining chocolate, stir until smooth. Pour over a 28cm x 36cm acetate sheet (see note) to 5mm thick, smooth with a palette knife. Set aside until almost set (15-20 minutes). Cut rounds from chocolate with a hot 6.5cm-diameter metal cutter, turn smooth side up. Melt chocolate scraps in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, then drizzle a little over each round. Scatter with toasted almonds, cherries, rice bubbles and cedro, set aside to set (30 minutes). Mendiants will keep stored in an airtight container in a cool place for a week.
Cedro is the glacé fruit of the citron tree, available from Simon Johnson, David Jones, and select delicatessens. If unavailable, substitute candied orange peel or candied lemon peel. Acetate sheets are available from art supply shops.
This recipe is from the December 2010 issue of