“This is a great little appetiser to start a meal. It’s perfect with a glass of Champagne.”
- 200 ml white wine vinegar
- 120 gm white sugar
- 4 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon quill
- ¼ tsp coriander seeds
- 1 piece of lemon rind, removed with a peeler
- 10 thin slices of serrano ham (see note)
- 300 gm peeled seedless watermelon
- ½ rockmelon, peeled
- 1Combine vinegar, sugar, spices, lemon rind, a pinch of salt and 200ml water in a small saucepan over medium heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- 2Preheat oven to 200C. Place ham in a single layer on a baking paper-lined oven tray and bake until completely crisp and dry (about 5 minutes).
- 3Cut melons into 1.5cm x 4cm batons and stand in pickling liquid for 1 minute. Remove, drain on absorbent paper and serve with ham.
Serrano ham (jamón serrano) is dry-cured Spanish ham similar to prosciutto. It’s available from select delicatessens.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am