- 180 ml dry rosé
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1 kg large black mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- 1 cup (loosely packed) watercress
- 1 large ripe tomato, deseeded and finely diced
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1Bring wine and saffron to the boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add mussels, cover and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until they start to open (2-3 minutes). Remove mussels from pan as they open, remove mussel meat from shells and reserve. Strain and reserve cooking liquid.
- 2For tomato dressing, combine tomato and spring onion in a bowl, add 30ml reserved mussel liquor, oil and lemon juice, and stir to combine. Pour tomato dressing over mussels, scatter with watercress and allow flavours to infuse (15 minutes) before serving.