- 1 kg caster sugar
- 500 ml dry white wine
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 2 star anise
- 6 small ripe pears, such as William
- 200 gm dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), coarsely chopped
Gorgonzola dolcelatte gelato
- 100 gm Gorgonzola dolcelatte, crumbled
- 450 ml milk
- 125 gm caster sugar
- 2 tbsp liquid glucose
- 500 gm mascarpone
- 1Combine sugar, wine, cinnamon, star anise and 1.5 litres water in a saucepan over low heat, stir to dissolve sugar, add pears, cover with a circle of baking paper and cook until pears are tender (45 minutes-1 hour). Discard paper, remove pears with a slotted spoon, refrigerate until chilled (discard syrup).
- 2Meanwhile, for Gorgonzola dolcelatte gelato, place Gorgonzola in a heatproof bowl and set aside. Combine milk, sugar and glucose in a saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves (2-3 minutes). Pour over Gorgonzola, whisk to combine, cool slightly, then fold through mascarpone and refrigerate until cool. Freeze in an ice-cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions, then freeze until required. Makes about 1 litre.
- 3Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Pat pears dry with absorbent paper, half-dip in chocolate, place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, set aside to set (10-15 minutes). Serve pears with Gorgonzola dolcelatte gelato.
This recipe is from the May 2010 issue of .