- 1 large eggplant (630gm), cut into 1.5cm dice
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) coconut oil
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1.5cm dice
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 red capsicum, seeds discarded and cut into 1.5cm dice
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeds discarded and cut into 1.5cm dice
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 60 ml (¼ cup) red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp coconut sugar or honey
- To serve: coarsely chopped basil
- 1Place eggplant in a bowl with 1½ tsp fine sea salt, toss to coat and set aside for bitter juices to drain (20 minutes). Rinse well and pat dry with a paper towel.
- 2Heat half the coconut oil in a large non-stick frying pan over low-medium heat. Add eggplant and zucchini and sauté until tender (8-9 minutes). Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- 3Add remaining coconut oil to pan. Add onion and cook until softened without colouring (2-3 minutes). Add capsicum and sauté until starting to soften (4-5 minutes). Add garlic and tomato, return eggplant and zucchini to pan, and cook, stirring occasionally, until warmed through (5-6 minutes). Season to taste, stir in olive oil, vinegar, coconut sugar and basil and serve.