- 1 telegraph cucumber
- 10 gm wakame, soaked in cold water and drained (see note)
- 3 shiso leaves, thinly sliced (see note)
- 120 gm sashimi-grade ocean trout
- 120 gm sashimi-grade snapper
- 150 gm unagi (see note)
- 6 cooked king prawns, peeled, veins removed, tails intact
- 100 ml soy sauce
- 150 gm white sugar
- 300 ml rice vinegar
- 1For soy dressing, combine soy and sugar in a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 2 minutes, cool, then stir through vinegar.
- 2Thinly slice cucumber widthways using a mandolin. In a bowl, combine cucumber with 2 tsp sea salt and stand for 5 minutes, then squeeze cucumber to remove excess liquid. Add wakame and shiso and mix to combine.
- 3Arrange cucumber mixture in a mound in the centre of plates. Thinly slice fish and unagi into 12 pieces each and arrange around cucumber mixture. Top with prawns, drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.
Note Wakame is a dried seaweed available from Asian grocery and health food stores. Shiso, a herb related to basil and mint also known as perilla, is available from Japanese, Vietnamese and select greengrocers. Unagi is Japanese freshwater eel and is available from good fishmongers and Japanese food stores.
Drink Suggestion: Cold dry pilsener.