"This is a really clean, crisp and refreshing salad with a punchy vinaigrette and soft herbs," says Pepperell.
- 1 large (or 2 small) red butter lettuce, washed
- Tarragon, chervil sprigs and finely chopped
- chives, to serve
Caper and anchovy dressing
- 20 gm salted capers
- 2 anchovy fillets, mashed
- 2 golden shallots, finely diced
- ½ garlic clove, finely grated on a Microplane
- 1 tsp lemon rind
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 80 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 1For caper and anchovy dressing, rinse capers and soak in cold water for 15 minutes. Drain well, then chop and transfer to a bowl with anchovies, golden shallots, garlic and lemon rind. Whisk in vinegar, then olive oil.
- 2To serve, halve large lettuce through the core (keep smaller lettuces in one piece), keeping lettuce intact and transfer to a plate. Open up the leaves and dress with the vinaigrette. Sprinkle herbs and black pepper over the top.
Drink Suggestion: 2014 François Cotat "Caillottes" Sancerre, Loire Valley. Drink suggestion by Andy Tyson