- 800 gm rhubarb, chopped
- 800 gm white sugar
- 125 ml apple cider vinegar (½ cup)
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 handfuls unsprayed rose petals
- 1Combine all ingredients with 5 litres water in a large non-reactive pan or stockpot, cover with a clean tea towel or cloth and leave at room temperature for 24 hours.
- 2Strain through a sieve, then bottle. Using clean plastic bottles will ensure there are no unexpected explosions, but I prefer crown-sealed glass bottles for presentation.
- 3Store in a warm room for 5 days, checking each day for signs of fermentation – the length of time this takes will depend on the temperature. Once you see bubbles in the bottles, transfer them to the fridge to stop the fermentation. Use within 2 months. Keep in mind that the excess sugar will continue to ferment slowly, even at low temperatures, and will eventually turn into alcohol.
Drink suggestion by Max Allen