- 2½ tbsp olive oil
- 16 seasonal sustainable live scallops, such as Hervey Bay scallops, freshly shucked, cleaned, left on the half shell (see note)
- 20 gm piece horseradish, finely grated
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 200 ml white wine vinegar
- 100 gm caster sugar
- ½ cinnamon quill
- 1 star anise
- 2 black peppercorns
- 50 gm dried wakame (see note)
- 3 avocados
- 50 ml buttermilk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch each of smoked paprika and cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1For pickled seaweed, bring all ingredients (except wakame) and 300ml water to the boil, then remove from heat. Place wakame in a heatproof non-reactive bowl. Pour over hot vinegar mixture. Cool, then refrigerate until required. Remove wakame from liquid, thinly slice and season to taste with salt before serving.
- 2For avocado purée, process avocado, buttermilk, lemon juice, paprika, cayenne, rind and a large pinch of salt in a blender until smooth. Check seasoning and refrigerate until required.
- 3Preheat grill on medium heat. Splash olive oil over each scallop, then grill until half-cooked (2-3 minutes). Serve warm, topped with shredded pickled seaweed, avocado purée, grated horseradish and lemon rind.
Drink Suggestion: 2007 Tyrrell’s “Belford” Semillon. Drink suggestion by Oliver Tucker
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- ExplainersEveryone's making sourdough; we're making focacciaYesterday 4:00am