- 100 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 2 whole dory, heads removed (about 750gm each)
- 1 tbsp whole black peppercorns, toasted and coarsely crushed
- 300 ml fish stock
- 2 tsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 30 gm butter
- 12 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 40 ml fish stock
- 1For caramelised garlic, preheat oven to 180C. Melt butter in a heavy-based oven-proof saucepan until golden, add garlic, stir to combine, then scatter with sugar and stir for 3 minutes or until garlic is golden. Add stock, cover and roast in the oven for 5 minutes.
- 2Increase oven temperature to 200C. In a large cast-iron frying pan, melt butter, add dory, caramelised garlic cloves and black pepper and cook over high heat for 3 minutes or until browned. Turn and add fish stock, then bring to the boil, cover, transfer to oven and roast for 6 minutes. Turn fish and roast for a further 6 minutes.
- 3To serve, place dory onto a plate, spoon over juices and garlic and scatter with parsley.
Drink Suggestion: Bright young unwooded red, such as tempranillo.