"Cooking the carrots whole and unpeeled gives them a more natural look," says Nick Stanton of Leonardo's Pizza Palace in Melbourne. "The texture is better, and the skin hold more of the flavour in. Cook with the honey until sweet, glossy and tender."
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 8 carrots (about 1kg), unpeeled
- 120 gm butter, softened
- 30 gm ginger (about 6cm), thickly sliced
- 175 gm (½ cup) honey
- Finely chopped parsley and chives, to serve
- Sour cream, to serve
- 1Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat,
add carrots and fry, turning occasionally, until deep golden brown (18-20 minutes). Add butter and ginger, reduce heat
to medium, and cook until carrots are tender and butter
is reduced (10 minutes; reduce heat to low if butter is starting
to burn). Add honey and cook, tossing occasionally, until
carrots are glazed (5 minutes).
- 2Scatter carrots with herbs, top with a good spoonful of
sour cream, and serve drizzled with oil and topped with freshly ground pepper.