“Try looking in people’s gardens for the lemon verbena and rose geranium. Otherwise, you could always use rosewater or finely grated citrus rind instead.”
- 2 rhubarb stalks, cut into batons
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 250 gm strawberries, coarsely chopped
Rose geranium and lemon verbena cream
- 4 gm each rose geranium and lemon verbena leaves, plus extra (optional) to serve
- 200 ml pouring cream
- 60 gm caster sugar
- 2 gelatine leaves (titanium strength), softened in cold water
- 150 gm fromage frais (see note)
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped seeds only
- 1For rose geranium and lemon verbena cream, bring leaves and 125ml cream to the boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Cook for 2 minutes, remove from heat, cover and stand for 5 minutes to infuse. Return to low heat, stir in sugar until dissolved, squeeze excess water from gelatine, add to pan, stir to dissolve, then strain through a fine sieve into a clean bowl. Add fromage frais and vanilla seeds and whisk until smooth. Whisk remaining cream until soft peaks form, fold into gelatine mixture and refrigerate until just firm.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C. Spread rhubarb in a small roasting tray, scatter with sugar and roast until just tender (5-6 minutes). Refrigerate until cool. Combine in a bowl with strawberries and serve spooned over rose geranium and lemon verbena cream, scattered with extra leaves.
Fromage frais is available from select delicatessens. If unavailable, use crème fraîche.
This recipe is from the February 2010 issue of
Drink Suggestion: 2008 Vietti Moscato d’Asti. Drink suggestion by Liam O'Brien