- 20 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 2 thick slices (50gm) crustless sourdough bread, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 kg baby calamari, cleaned and cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 radicchio, leaves separated, coarsely torn
- ½ cup (loosely-packed) flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1½ golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp salted baby capers, rinsed and drained well
- 280 gm kipfler potatoes (about 2 large potatoes), scrubbed
- 100 ml olive oil
- 50 ml white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp thyme
- 1For marinated kipflers, cover potatoes with salted cold water in a large saucepan, bring to the boil and cook until tender (10-15 minutes). Meanwhile, blend remaining ingredients in a bowl with a hand-held blender. Drain potatoes, peel and, while still hot, add to marinade, stir to coat and marinate (2-3 hours).
- 2Melt butter in a small frying pan over medium-high heat, add sourdough cubes and toss occasionally until golden and crisp (3-5 minutes), then drain on paper towels.
- 3Grill calamari over high heat without turning until coloured on one side (2-3 minutes). Set aside.
- 4Remove potatoes from marinade and thinly slice, and place in a bowl with radicchio, parsley, shallots, capers and cooked calamari. Drizzle with potato marinade and toss to combine. Season to taste, add croûtons, toss again and serve.
Drink Suggestion: 2008 Castagna Viognier Ingénue, Beechworth. Drink suggestion by Garrett Donovan