- 1 kg waxy potatoes, such as Desiree, thinly sliced with a mandolin
- 100 ml olive oil
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 40 gm (⅓ cup) sea salt flakes
- 2 tsp vinegar powder (see note)
- 2 tsp tomato powder (see note)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp savoury yeast flakes (see note)
- ½ tsp onion powder (see note)
- ½ tsp garlic powder (see note)
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C and line base and sides of a 27cm x 17cm roasting pan with baking paper. Lay potato slices in a row in the pan, overlapping each slice by 1cm, then work down the tray in rows, overlapping each row by about two-thirds, to form a complete layer. Drizzle a little olive oil and scatter a little salt over the top and repeat layering until all potato is used. Cover surface with a sheet of baking paper and bake until a knife easily pierces through the galette (40 minutes to 1 hour). Remove from oven, place another tray on top and weigh it down with a weight, such as a casserole. Cool galette, then refrigerate overnight, with the weight still on so it compresses and the layers stick together.
- 2For salt and vinegar seasoning, combine ingredients in a bowl.
- 3For tomato sauce seasoning, combine ingredients in a bowl.
- 4Preheat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or large deep saucepan to 180°C. Cut galette into 3.5cm pieces and deepfry, in batches and turning occasionally, until golden and crisp (3-4 minutes; be careful, hot oil will spit). Drain on paper towels. Season with salt and vinegar seasoning to taste, and finish with a generous dusting of tomato sauce seasoning.
Vinegar powder, onion powder and garlic powder are available from Asian grocers and select delicatessens. Tomato powder is available from herbies.com.au. Savoury yeast flakes are available from health food shops and select supermarkets.Drink suggestion: A rich, dry sherry such as the Spanish La Goya Manzanilla. Drink suggestion by Nick Smith.