- 180 ml milk
- 150 gm butter, diced
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 250 gm (1 cups) plain flour, sieved
- 6 eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) pouring cream
- 250 gm dark chocolate (60% cocoa solids), coarsely chopped
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 10 gm liquid glucose
- 100 gm hazelnuts, blanched
Salted caramel pastry cream
- 250 gm caster sugar
- 125 ml (½ cup) milk, at room temperature
- 150 ml pouring cream, at room temperature
- 200 gm (about 12) egg yolks
- 50 gm (1/3 cup) plain flour
- 100 gm mascarpone
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Bring milk, butter, sugar, 180ml water and a pinch of salt to the boil in a saucepan over high heat, reduce heat to low, add flour and stir continuously until dough comes away from sides of pan (2-3 minutes). Transfer to an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until room temperature (10-12 minutes). Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm nozzle and pipe 15cm cylinders onto a baking tray lined with baking paper, leaving 5cm-6cm of space in between. Bake until golden and crisp, turning tray once (25-30 minutes). Remove from oven and cool.
- 2For ganache, bring cream just to the boil in a saucepan over high heat. Place chocolate in a bowl, pour cream in and stir until chocolate melts (3-5 minutes), then cool completely.
- 3For hazelnut praline, stir sugar, glucose and 100ml water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat to dissolve sugar, bring to the boil and cook without stirring until dark caramel, brushing sides of pan with a wet pastry brush if sugar crystals form (10-12 minutes). Remove from heat, stir in hazelnuts, spread on a baking tray lined with baking paper and stand until set (15 minutes). Break into small pieces and set aside.
- 4For salted caramel pastry cream, stir 210gm sugar and 60ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil and cook without stirring until caramel (4-5 minutes). Add milk, 125ml cream and 1 tsp sea salt, and whisk to combine (1-2 minutes; be careful, mixture will foam up). Increase heat and bring caramel to the boil. Whisk yolks and remaining sugar in a bowl to combine, then whisk in flour. Stir in a ladleful of caramel mixture, then transfer yolk mixture to pan of hot caramel. Cook for 1 minute, whisking continuously, then remove from heat, pour into a heatproof dish, cover closely with plastic wrap to prevent a skin forming and cool to room temperature (25-30 minutes). Whisk mascarpone with remaining cream until firm and gently fold into salted caramel pastry cream. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm nozzle and refrigerate until needed.
- 5Halve pastries lengthways with a serrated knife, pipe filling onto bases and sandwich with the tops. Spoon ganache over the top, sprinkle with pieces of hazelnut praline and serve immediately.