"This is our go-to cocktail for a large party," says Andrew McConnell, chef-owner of Melbourne's Gimlet.
- 1¾ tsp dried chamomile flowers
- 250 gm strawberries, hulled
- 200 gm caster sugar
- 100 ml vodka
- 750 ml white wine, such as riesling
- Juice of 2 lemons, plus 1 lemon sliced, to serve
- Tarragon sprigs and soda water, to serve
- 1To make strawberry cordial, heat 500ml (2 cups) water in a saucepan over medium heat until almost boiling. Pour over dried chamomile flowers in a bowl or teapot and set aside to infuse (10 minutes), then strain and discard flowers. In a blender or food processor, blend 3 strawberries with chamomile infusion until smooth. Strain through a sieve into a bowl, then add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- 2Combine vodka, wine, lemon juice and strawberry cordial in a 2-litre serving jug. Thinly slice remaining strawberries then add to jug with lemon slices and tarragon sprigs. Add ice and stir gently. Serve with a splash of soda water and a sprig of tarragon.