- 8 large globe artichokes (see note)
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 200 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- 150 gm dried, coarse rye sourdough breadcrumbs
- To serve: coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 leek, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- ½ large onion, coarsely chopped
- 125 gm dried chickpeas
- 1 chicken thigh, on the bone
- 1For legume stock, combine ingredients and 3.75 litres water in a stockpot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, skim surface and simmer for 3-4 hours. Strain and discard solids. Makes about 2 litres.
- 2Peel tough outer leaves from artichokes, trim stems near bases and trim tops, exposing hearts. Warm olive oil in a wide saucepan over medium-high heat, add artichoke hearts and sauté until just golden (3-5 minutes). Add enough legume stock to cover and season to taste with sea salt. Cover with a lid or baking paper and simmer over low-medium heat until a skewer can be pressed easily through the centre (30-45 minutes). Drain and cool.
- 3Quarter artichoke hearts and set aside. Warm extra-virgin olive oil in a wide saucepan over medium-high heat, add garlic and anchovy and fry until anchovy dissolves (20-30 seconds), add breadcrumbs and stir continuously until crumbs are toasted (3-5 minutes). Add artichokes and cook until lightly fried (4-5 minutes), season to taste with sea salt, scatter with parsley and serve immediately.
Note If fresh artichokes are unavailable, you can use canned artichoke hearts and skip steps 1 and 2.
Drink Suggestion: It's hard to match artichokes but the 2006 Santa Barbara Verdicchio Le Vaglie, Marche, Italy, is a cracker. Drink suggestion by Lok Thornton