- 4 tomatoes, bases scored
- 2 tbsp duck fat, lard, tallow, ghee or coconut oil
- 2 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 pinches saffron threads
- 20 ml Pernod (optional)
- 175 ml dry white wine
- 400 gm piece of snapper, pin-boned, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 2 baby squid, including tentacles, cleaned, scored, and cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 4 raw king prawns, peeled, cleaned with tails intact
- 250 ml (1 cup) fish stock, chicken stock or water
- 8 mussels, scrubbed, beards removed
- 12 clams, soaked in cold salted water for 1 hour, rinsed well
- 1Blanch tomatoes until skins split (30-50 seconds). Drain, refresh in iced water, then drain again, peel and discard seeds, then dice.
- 2Heat fat in a large casserole over medium heat, then sauté shallot and garlic until tender (6-9 minutes). Add thyme, saffron and tomato, stir to combine, then deglaze pan with Pernod, add wine and simmer until reduced by a third (4-6 minutes). Add snapper, squid and prawns, then add stock to just cover seafood, topping up with extra stock or water if necessary. Season to taste and simmer until seafood is beginning to turn opaque (2-4 minutes). Add mussels and clams, cover and cook until shellfish open (2-4 minutes). Scatter with parsley and serve warm.