“Serve the financières warm from the oven. Leftover prunes are great with toasted muesli for breakfast.”
- ½ orange, finely grated rind and juice only
- ½ lemon, finely grated rind only
- 1 English breakfast tea bag
- 2 star anise
- ½ cinnamon quill
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 185 gm Agen prunes (see note)
- 125 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 110 gm eggwhite (about 2 eggs)
- 60 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- 40 gm honey
- 45 gm plain flour
- 45 gm almond meal
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 400 ml thickened cream
- 1 tbsp pure icing sugar, sieved
- 2 oranges, finely grated rind only
- 20 ml Cognac
- 1Combine juice, rinds, tea bag, spices, bay leaf and 750ml water in a saucepan over medium heat, bring to a gentle simmer, cook until infused (8-10 minutes). Remove tea bag, add prunes, simmer for 10 minutes, set aside.
- 2For thyme financières, cook butter in a saucepan over medium heat until nut brown (4-6 minutes), set aside to cool. Whisk eggwhite in an electric mixer until starting to foam (1-2 minutes), gradually add sugar, then honey. Combine well, add flour, almond meal and thyme, then gradually add melted butter in a thin stream until a thick batter is formed. Refrigerate for 1 hour to rest. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C. Divide mixture among eight patty-case-lined, 80ml-capacity muffin tray moulds, smooth tops and bake until golden or until a skewer withdraws clean (10-15 minutes). Set aside, keep warm.
- 3For orange and Cognac Chantilly, whisk cream, sugar and rind in a chilled electric mixer bowl until soft peaks form (1-2 minutes), then whisk in Cognac. Serve immediately with financières and prunes.
Note Agen prunes, from Agen in France, are available from select delicatessens. If unavailable, substitute other pitted prunes. This recipe is from the July 2009 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.
Drink Suggestion: Small glass of Armagnac. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am